[kismac] Re: (a/)b/g card

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:21:04 +0200

At 4:10 PM +0200 2004-07-24, Lasse Jespersen wrote:

 Can someone recommend me an excellent ( good sensitivity and powerful
 signal ) a/b/g card - preferrably not cardbus, though I dont really
 care in the end. It need just be available in Europe somewhere online,
 since I don't want to pay taxes for importing from U.S. Thanks ;)

I don't think there are any a/b/g cards which are not either PCI, miniPCI, or CardBus. In addition, keep in mind that open-source drivers for these things are non-existent outside of the Atheros family, and the Atheros cards are not yet supported under MacOS X except with the OrangeWare driver (see <http://www.orangeware.com/developers/dev_prod.html>). Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not KisMac is compatible with the OrangeWare driver, but I imagine it should at least work in active mode, just like it does for the Airport Extreme/Broadcom cards.

The page at <http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison?action=show#head-d3147e0e9d8271c470ba318c9ddb27b75ead27c5> is necessarily incomplete, since it focuses almost entirely on Atheros family cards, but does have the following information for known transmit power:

                Make            Model                           Bus
                -------         -------                         -----
                D-Link          DWL-AG650                       CardBus 32mW
                D-Link          DWL-AG520                       PCI
                Linksys         WPC55AG                         CardBus 40mW
                Linksys         WMP55AG                         PCI
                Senao           NL-5354 MP PLUS         miniPCI 20-100mW
                Senao           NL-5354 CB PLUS         CardBus 20-100mW
                NetGear         WAG311                          PCI
27-98mW (b/g)
                39-48mW (a)
                Orinoco         a/b/g Combo Silver      CardBus 60mW (a/g)
                85mW (b)
                Orinoco         a/b/g Combo Gold        CardBus 60mW (a/g)
                85mW (b)
                SMC                     2336W-AG                        CardBus

The power output of the NetGear CardBus version is unknown, but I imagine it's probably the same as the PCI version. I updated the power ratings of the Senao cards myself, and had to download their full spec sheet to get the numbers. I'd have to go back and look at the spec sheet again, but it looks like the Senao or the NetGear may be the best choices for an Atheros-family card.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that has done something similar for any other chipset family.

In addition, I don't know of any other page which covers sensitivity for any cards other than 802.11b, such as found at <http://freenetworks.org/moin/index.cgi/ReceiveSensitivity>.

Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755