[kismac] Re: ZyDas USB adapter support

  • From: "John Warren" <xaive1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 11:27:40 -0700

I don't know if the chipset is supported in passive mode.  Perhaps he
was not giving the full REAL story... I'm sure if there are proper mac
drivers it does work with Kismac, but only in ACTIVE mode.    Which to
me doesn't mean that it WORKS with kismac.

On 4/14/07, Jon Steinmetz <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So on a lark I bought this USB device for use on a MacBook Pro
because the seller said it worked with KisMac. I have so far not been
able to get it to work.

KisMac version: r227 (I have not tried 228 yet)

Mac being used:

   Machine Name:        MacBook Pro 15"
   Machine Model:       MacBookPro1,1
   Processor Name:      Intel Core Duo
   Processor Speed:     2 GHz
   Number Of Processors:        1
   Total Number Of Cores:       2
   L2 Cache (per processor):    2 MB
   Memory:      2 GB
   Bus Speed:   667 MHz
   Boot ROM Version:    MBP11.0055.B08
   SMC Version: 1.2f10
   Serial Number:       W8609D20VJ1
   Sudden Motion Sensor:
   State:       Enabled

What system profiler reports the device as:

   Version:     48.10
   Bus Power (mA):      500
   Speed:       Up to 480 Mb/sec
   Manufacturer:        ZyDAS
   Product ID:  0x1215
   Vendor ID:   0x0ace

The ebay URL is <http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-WarDriving-USB-54mb-WiFi-Kit-
w-Folding-
Antenna_W0QQitemZ120090024573QQihZ002QQcategoryZ61816QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
WD1VQQcmdZViewItem> so if these devices don't work then people here
should steer clear.

It looks like the the ZyDas chipset supported by KisMac is 0x1201 so
maybe the seller was confused. Has anyone gotten these devices to
work? Does anyone have a similar device that does work? I like the
small size of this device over the larger external USB boxes not to
mention the external antenna jack which is a must for me.