[kismac] What results in <no-ssid> in scan output?

  • From: Paul Jacoby <pej@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:28:25 -0500

I'm trying to understand what makes KisMac report "<no-ssid>" in it's display list and output files. Can someone who knows that code explain what triggers the decision to say "<no-ssid>"?

The reason I ask is that I have some Symbol Technologies APs in my area that cause another scanner (WiFiFoFum for PocketPC) to return garbage SSIDs. I did a trace capture with KisMac (thanks for the pointer, themacuser) and found that the Symbol's aren't returning an SSID structure in their Beacon packets at all. I guess that's an obvious enough reason to indicate <no-ssid>, but I'm curious as to whether this is 'standard' stuff, or something particular the Symbol's. It's something the author of WFFF will need to accommodate, in any case....

Thanks for any insight.