[kismac] Re: What in the world is going on? (Fake AP attack?)

  • From: "Ray Dios Haque" <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 10:49:31 -0400

> OK, so the thought is that it's not a fake AP? Then what the heck is it?

Cisco has an office here in Ohio (United States).  When I pass it on the
highway with KisMac open ... KisMac cripples under the load of access points
found.  They do *not* exist.  As long as you remain within a square mile of
the Access Point, you will find endless numbers of imaginary access points.
They can only be fake.

Here is a snapshot I took of my KisMac window a long while back.  You will
notice my date is way off (1969) because I didn't have a working battery at
the time.  But notice the number of seconds between findings.  Just driving
by the joint, I generally find about 200 access points of clutter.

http://www.gloop.net/rayhaque/ciscotrap.jpg

-Ray