[kismac] Re: What in the world is going on? (Fake AP attack?)

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:29:26 -0700

OK, so the thought is that it's not a fake AP? Then what the heck is it?

Also thinking, "wlanai" could be like "wireless LAN AI (artificial intelligence)" - but it's not very smart obviously.

Is this something we'll see much of? If so, is there any way to block these? It's got pretty wide coverage and not terribly useful results with new MACs showing up every 1 second!

I think I'm going to be doing some walk and knocking tomorrow after this storm passes. Perhaps this person is just looking for others interested in wifi like me...

-Galen

On May 7, 2004, at 9:11 PM, Theodore wrote:

a good properly done fakeap should have a different SSID, mac, and channel every .25 seconds.. it even tries to change the output power.

Theo

Galen wrote:
Perhaps I will need to go and do some knocking at places with patios! :)
Anyone else have experience with these fake APs? Any chance KisMAC could have some kind of immunity or grouping - all APs under one SSID as "one"?
Also, I forgot to mention that the AP didn't really change channels, as you can see from the .kismac file. It's all channel 10.
-Galen