[kismac] Re: What in the world is going on? (Fake AP attack?)

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 20:10:12 -0700

Perhaps I will need to go and do some knocking at places with patios! :)

Anyone else have experience with these fake APs? Any chance KisMAC could have some kind of immunity or grouping - all APs under one SSID as "one"?

Also, I forgot to mention that the AP didn't really change channels, as you can see from the .kismac file. It's all channel 10.

-Galen

On May 7, 2004, at 7:33 PM, Bob Cunningham wrote:

It does seem like "wlanai" would have to be a Fake AP.
No real AP would keep changing its own MAC address like that.

Look for someone in your neighborhood from Hawaii (or someone
who once lived in Hawaii for a while).  Who probably likes
to use his laptop computer outside whenever the weather allows.

Where I live -- in the Hawaiian islands -- everyone uses the
word "lanai" to refer to what folks on the west coast of the
U.S. would call a patio.  (People here with apartments even refer
to their balcony as a "lanai".  Although Lanai is also the name
of one of the major Hawaiian islands.)

I'll bet that "wlanai" effectively means "wireless lanai".
Which -- come to think of it as I'm sitting out on my own
lanai typing this message -- would have a nice SSID for
my own home AP!

Before I go knocking on doors to figure out who the heck this is, any comments on this? Or perhaps is KisMAC just acting crazy?