[kismac] Re: What in the world is going on? (Fake AP attack?)

  • From: Bob Cunningham <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 16:33:50 -1000

It does seem like "wlanai" would have to be a Fake AP.
No real AP would keep changing its own MAC address like that.

Look for someone in your neighborhood from Hawaii (or someone
who once lived in Hawaii for a while).  Who probably likes
to use his laptop computer outside whenever the weather allows.

Where I live -- in the Hawaiian islands -- everyone uses the
word "lanai" to refer to what folks on the west coast of the
U.S. would call a patio.  (People here with apartments even refer
to their balcony as a "lanai".  Although Lanai is also the name
of one of the major Hawaiian islands.)

I'll bet that "wlanai" effectively means "wireless lanai".
Which -- come to think of it as I'm sitting out on my own
lanai typing this message -- would have a nice SSID for
my own home AP!

Before I go knocking on doors to figure out who the heck this is, any comments on this? Or perhaps is KisMAC just acting crazy?