[kismac] What in the world is going on? (Fake AP attack?)

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:16:35 -0700

Hi KisMAC people!

I've been enjoying kismac since some of the earliest releases. Most recently, I went for a drive (and later hopped out of my vehicle to poke around on foot) around my neighborhood. I found the usual home networks, most with boring names, and many with WEP. Nothing too exciting really. Then comes this new network... "wlanai" and another one and another! After walking around, it seems a new one sprouts up every 1 second when I'm in good range. Different MAC, same SSID, no data (just beacon packets), ad-hoc, WEP on.

Take a look at my .kismac file:
http://zinkconsulting.com/insane_networks.kismac

It seems that a pretty large area is well-covered with these "wlanai" networks. For a regular network, I'd say the coverage is on the very high end of things.

Has anybody else ever seen these Fake APs before with KisMAC?

It seems there is no explanation other than someone running FakeAP software (http://freshmeat.net/projects/fake-ap/) but I didn't know we had any serious computer people 'round here! Before I go knocking on doors to figure out who the heck this is, any comments on this? Or perhaps is KisMAC just acting crazy?

-Galen