[kismac] Re: What does signal strength mean?

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 22:48:31 +0200

hi,

> I would like to see a graph/table for signal in dbm, noise in dbm, and
> signal to noise ratio in db for both directions (to and from access
> point).  This percentage business is misleading.  There is no percent
> in it; it is in decibels relative to a milliwatt after the appropriate
> constant is added.  I haven't looked at Mick's code, but you have a
> good question.  Maybe he can answer it.  The docs for this are
> available from Intersil.

this is basically the value the card firmware of the card returns. thus
the value is depended on the brand of the card. i have not found a good
way to calculate dbms or mw from it. there are a couple of pseudo
algorithms, none of them satisfied me and i do not have the equipment
to measure any raw signals. sorry and let me know if you know more.

mick