[kismac] Re: WPA-TKIP, Kismac, and my network

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:40:53 +0800

The problem is that WEP is insecure, regardless of key length. The best attacks for it do not involve going after the key directly. Reports I've heard are that WPA has some unexpected weaknesses that actually make it worse than WEP.

Really? That sounds very interesting indeed! Do you have any references or links about that?

My suggestion is to do a software VPN (preferably based on IPSec), on top of the wireless network. Make sure that the VPN terminates on the other side of the wireless network, and nothing gets off the wireless network without having come through the VPN.

Tunnelling through SSH could also work quite well. --

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx