[kismac] Re: TKIP

  • From: Jeff Cooper <j.cooper1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:20:48 -0700

First of all thank you for your response.. I know about WPA, but not the details so thank you for that..

Secondly I am using the newest version of Kismac which is my understanding detects WPA.. and this doesn't show WPA..

On May 19, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Bob Cunningham wrote:

WPA = "Wi-Fi Protected Access". A good short outline of what it is:

Most of the publically-available documentation can be found starting at:

In brief, WPA changes WEP to use:

        per-session keys
        a different initialization vector scheme
        per-packet key changes (based upon the per-session key)
        a message integrity code (TKIP)

... while still using WEP's basic, underlying RC4 packet encryption.

WPA is the precursor to full-on 802.11i security.  That standard,
which the marking folks will call WPA2, is due out later this year.
802.11i/WPA2 will -- among other things -- will probably require
AES encryption instead of RC4 for packet encryption (which older
AP hardware usually will not support, thus upgrading to WPA2 will
often mean replacing older APs with newer ones).

WPA started appearing on new access points (and as firmware upgrades
to some existing APs, including many Cisco models).  Cisco already
had its own proprietary scheme, LEAP.  But now most Cisco APs can
alternatively do WPA.