[kismac] Re: Successfully cracked, but what now?

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:10:14 +0800

Step 1: be careful! Unless you do it with the network operator's permission, it's illegal in many parts of the world even to connect.

Step 2: play nice. If they have MAC filtering on and you're spoofing a MAC address from their network, you're probably going to interfere with their network connectivity... so probably best to avoid doing that if at all possible.

Step 3: up to you really... it's just another corner of the Internet, most likely...

I finally succeeded! MAC Filtering was it.
Anyone with some tips what fun things to do when entered a network?

On 20.06.2006, at 08:15, el_criuz wrote:

Ah thanks for the info. I'll try it right away.
But two more questions:

1) Which Ethernet ID am I supposed to spoof? Do I use the ID of the WEP router I cracked or do I have to find a Ethernet ID the router accepts, and if so, how do I do that?
2) Is it possible that Kismac just gives me a wrong Key? After several days of sniffing, could there be something that screws my key?

On 19.06.2006, at 23:36, devnullian@xxxxxxx wrote:

spoofmac is kinda tricky. to get it to work, you have to use it without having joined a network since your last restart. One way to do this, which is annoying, but protects you from some particularly crafty wireless attacks, is to remove all APs from your "preferred networks" list (under airport in sytem prefs) so that you have to manually join every access point. Then, to spoof, restart, run spoofmac, then try to associate to the ap.

Not using preferred networks is kinda annoying, but it does protect you from the "karma" attack where the attacker listens to your wireless card as it searches for its preferred networks and then creates an AP with the name of one of your preferred networks for you to join.

On Jun 19, 2006, at 10:31 AM, el_criuz wrote:

May be possible but I don't think so.
I already tried SpoofMac but the app doesnt work for me (although I use it on a G4 1,67 Powerbook)
When I try to spoof my airport card the result is just 00:00:00:00:00 and not the adress I wanted to spoof.
I need to restart my computer in order to use any network card then.

On 19.06.2006, at 18:19, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

I tried normal, hex and ascii but none of them worked.
The hex value that kismac tells me to be the key consists just of numbers.
I collected the weak packets over quite a long time (5 days) is it possible that the key got screwed up by something?

Is is possible that something else is preventing you from joining the network? MAC filtering for example?

Stefan Jeglinski

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx