[kismac] Re: Spoofing MAC Address on Tiger

  • From: "Jorge Laranjo" <jorge.laranjo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 01:30:52 +0100

But the questions is: I was probing the networks with my DWL-122 and AE.
Then, when I found a open network I spoofed my AE but then the icon of the
AE turn into the usual icon with a arrow on it (on the menu).

And I can't join a network. So I need to do it with the AE turned off? I'll
try that.

On 9/2/06, devnullian@xxxxxxx <devnullian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, this is most likely your problem. To elaborate, SpoofMac will not work if you have connected to any networks since your last restart. Depending on your level of paranoia, deleting all of your auto-joined networks can be a good idea. Why? Because some crafty guys created a wireless attack program called "karma" that can attack you if you have auto-join networks. Karma works by listening as your wireless card probes for the networks in your auto-join list. It then creates a network with the same SSID as one of your auto-join networks, which your Mac will dutifully connect to. At this point you may be subject to driver exploits (if they exist... this is an open question, as anyone who subscribes to the securityfocus wireless list will know) or anything else the attacker wants to do. So, think about wether the convenience of auto-joining networks is worth this risk (which it very well could be, it's your decision).

Devnullian