[kismac] Re: Spoofing MAC Address on Tiger

  • From: devnullian@xxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:32:25 -0600

Yes, this is most likely your problem. To elaborate, SpoofMac will not work if you have connected to any networks since your last restart.
Depending on your level of paranoia, deleting all of your auto-joined networks can be a good idea. Why? Because some crafty guys created a wireless attack program called "karma" that can attack you if you have auto-join networks. Karma works by listening as your wireless card probes for the networks in your auto-join list. It then creates a network with the same SSID as one of your auto-join networks, which your Mac will dutifully connect to. At this point you may be subject to driver exploits (if they exist... this is an open question, as anyone who subscribes to the securityfocus wireless list will know) or anything else the attacker wants to do.
So, think about wether the convenience of auto-joining networks is worth this risk (which it very well could be, it's your decision).

On Sep 1, 2006, at 4:32 PM, John Warren wrote:

if yo uautomatically join networks then spoof mac has problems.  Many
people say to delete all of your auto-joined networks.  Search online
about it, but my suggestion is to turn off airport, restart machine,
run spoofmac, turn on airport.  Works for my iBook G4 w/ AE.

On 9/1/06, Jorge Laranjo <jorge.laranjo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi! How to spoof my MAC address using Tiger? is that some networks are MAC
Address controled or safe...

SpoofMac is not useful since I think that does the spoofing but turns my
AirPort in something strange and I can't connect to a network.

Many thanks.

Jorge Laranjo

email> jorge.laranjo@xxxxxxxxx
gTalk > jorge.laranjo@xxxxxxxxx