[kismac] Re: Question on newer multi-SSID APs

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:58:21 +0100

Hi,

i know of this problem for some time now (about a year ago oliver hochgartz lend me one of his cisco ap 1200). i have not found an adequate solution for this problem yet.
these access points have one primary ssid. on login the client send another ssid, it will flash up in kismac and then it will be overwritten by kismac, when the next beacon arrives. the problem is that this would require a special handling. e.g. make one net show up over multiple lines, but this handling requires a lot of computation time and overhead for the rest of the networks. i ll think about it some more, may be a lightning will strike me...

mick

On 11. Jan 2004, at 15:31 Uhr, Brian Bender wrote:

Hi Mick, all,

What will sniffers like KisMAC do in the presence of multiple ESSID access
points (the latest Cisco WAPs, for example, let you configure a single AP
with multiple ESSIDs, each having its own VLAN, it's own security params,
etc.)? I don't know for sure, but I doubt that they're going to generate
unique BSSIDs for each (which would make everything "just work" for
stumblers/sniffers, right?), but I could be wrong.

BTW, I'm soon going to be in one of these environments (we're upgrading
our wireless backbone), so I'll be willing to test/suggest/possibly
contribute code...

- Brian