[kismac] Re: Probescans differ on MacBook and MacBookPro

  • From: Lars Scheithauer <larsscheithauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:08:51 +0200

Am 13.10.2006 um 09:39 schrieb themacuser:

Another thing that bugs me: When the probe stopped, we tried to verify our suspicion. So the MacBook was set to scan actively and the MacBookPro passively. However, no probes showed up. Is this after all just a glitch in the driver?

I'm not sure.

Well, if the athereos-driver has problems, this could also be the solution. However, since we got some networks, the probes have either been send out or it was using passivemode after all, ignoring hidden ssid's.
If you don't have anyone with our cardid's in your tester's database, gimme a call.

Last point: Our wirelessrouter is jumping between two channels (which it shouldn't). We also experience some connectionproblems from time to time. Is this something that happens due to reflections and doublesignals through walls and other disturbances, so that the frequency changes?

If the signal is strong enough, it can bleed over onto other nearby channels. That's perfectly normal. When you're right next to a high power AP, it can even happen up to 6-7 channels away.

As for connection problems occasionally - what brand of gear is it all?

It's a netgear WGT624 (which is a piece of junk, IMO - only supported browser is InternetExplorer, Safari is unsupported but works; no Firefox, no mozilla, ... ). Anyway, got a Cisco/Linksys WRT54GL here to check it out.

-- Lars