[kismac] Re: Packet reinjection

  • From: Andrew1300@xxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:56:30 EST

>> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:10:39 +0100 (MET)
>> Holger Mahlau <hmahlau@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a question about the packet reinjection function in KISMAC
>> >
>> > It is the same as packet injection ?? With packet injection I can
>> > shut down the base station, I think so.

     What you are calling packet injection (not reinjection) seems to
sound like something that I overheard at the last wireless conference.
Basically... when a base station recieves a wireless packet from a
computer associated with it that has a corrupt CRC (not TCP/IP CRC,
802.11 CRC) for security reasons the base station is supposed to shut
down for a minute.  This "security feature" basically allows users to DoS
a BaseStation with corrupt wireless CRC packets if they have raw access
to the wireless card.  There was some reason they were doing this, I
think it was to counter Brute Force attacks on the WEP password.  No idea
though really... I think the shutting down for 1 minute thing is not the
greatest of ideas though.  Anyway, that's all from me tonite...

 - Andrew