[kismac] Re: [OpenSVN] r84 committed.

  • From: Seth Weissbord <weissbord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:46:18 -0800

I don't really see why everyone seems to be having a problem with it. Airport Extreme Support seems to be working just fine for me in passive mode (minus the ability to inject packets of course ;) ). I have found that its very simple to get it to load properly by following these steps.

1) Start the KisMac program.
2) Click on your little wireless applet in the finder menu bar on top of your screen, and click "Turn Airport Off"
3) Click on KisMac > Preferences in the finder bar.
4) Click the drivers tab, and then select the airport extreme passive mode drive > add
5) Click ALL under channel hopping and then close the preferences window.
6) Click start scan under the main kismac window. This should proceed to load the passive driver for your airport card (It will ask for your administrator password, without it, it will not load the driver for you!!!) so that you can now start gathering packets.

During monitoring you will notice that your wireless applet that shows signal strength in the top finder bar will remain off the whole time you are monitoring, when you are done using kismac, close it out. Upon closure kismac will automatically unload its driver for passive mode and re-enable your original airport driver for you. Now all you have to do is go back up to your wireless applet and click "Turn Airport On". That's it, real simple, and works every-time for me. I think most people get confused and believe they will be able to surf the internet while they are scanning, and then freak out and say "OMG, kismac has fuxored my airport, what do I do?"

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BROWSE THE INTERNET WHILE SCANNING IN MONITOR MODE WITH A PASSIVE DRIVER, IF YOU WANT TO DO BOTH YOU HAVE TO USE THE ACTIVE DRIVER. (Not yelling in prior statement, just wanted to emphasize that for some :)

Seth

On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:07 PM, John Warren wrote:

Are you saying that it is possible to start the driver at the time of
the OS starting?  Or at the time of kismac starting?  Or are you
saying that the error is coming from starting a scan and then loading
the driver?

My system used to work just fine, but stopped working basically mid
session and now doesn't work at all.  If you try to load the passive
drivers at the time of starting kismac then, I fear my system would
not function or function with errors.

Whatever it is that you are saying, I'm willing to test out some stuff
on my system if you want.  Just need source code or instructions on
what to alter on my system.

On 2/14/06, themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the issue is simply NOT to reload the driver, but to enable
passive mode at startup - it can live alongside managed mode just
fine. The issue here is NOT enabling monitor mode, but reloading the
driver with it enabled.

If we just change the APMonitorMode key to YES, and leave it there,
it only turns on when someone is capturing from the wlt1 interface.

Our problem IS relaoading the driver...

On 15/02/2006, at 9:37 AM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

It is sounding more and more like the key to getting KisMAC to work
in passive mode with airport extreme is to ensure that nothing else
tries to use the Airport Extreme card for anything, *ever*.  Even
after a normal reboot, my iBook G4 won't scan in passive mode with
the Airport Extreme, presumably because things that load
automatically on startup (such as network time synchronization)
start using it.  The only way I can make passive airport extreme
scanning work is to do a safe mode reboot (i.e. hold "shift" all
the way from the startup chime until login is complete).  Then it
works like a charm...

Your mileage may vary from what I am about to say.

If you have your airport card turned off and start kismac it has
worked for
me. I have tested build r82 on Friday and r83 today on my
powerbook that has
been up for over 4 days. This was done with my normal gambit of
programs
running using my Ethernet connection.

-Ron.

P.S. This has survived multiple starts and stops of kismac.

--
Ron Rosson
ron.rosson@xxxxxxxxx

 From: Nate Gallagher <natevoodoo@xxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:08:33 -0800 (PST)
 To: "kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: [kismac] Re: [OpenSVN] r84 committed.

How do I install the airport extreme driver?
When I try to run the kismac program with passive airport extrem it
makes the airport disappear for other applications until I restart.
But it also doesn't work for kismac saying that the driver is
missing.
any clues?
Nate

 --- mick.bi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 mick Mon Feb 13 20:04:14 2006 UTC

   Repository:
     https://OpenSVN.csie.org/bi/

   Revision:
     84

   Log:
     fixing build problems, if path contained spaces

   Flag Changes    Path
   U    +20 -14    KisMACng/KisMAC.xcodeproj/mick.mode1
   U    +119 -32   KisMACng/KisMAC.xcodeproj/mick.pbxuser
   U    +1 -1      KisMACng/compile.command

   Trac view:
     https://OpenSVN.csie.org/traccgi/bi/trac.cgi/changeset/84

 https://OpenSVN.csie.org/bi/

--