[kismac] Re: [OpenSVN] r84 committed.

  • From: Seth Weissbord <weissbord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:49:32 -0800

Hi Robin,

Well I am indeed considering myself lucky then :)

Can I ask if you have went into your user account settings and looked to see exactly what you have setup to start upon login? It seems only a matter of trial and error to deselect one item at at time and restarting to see what it is exactly that is causing your conflict, once that is done it could be reported back to the list so that a solution could be worked on.

Seth

On Feb 14, 2006, at 10:07 PM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

Hi Seth,

I think you've probably overestimated the reliability of passive mode airport extreme support, based on your sample of one. :) I rather doubt that you're the only one on the list who has tried to use KisMAC/airport-extreme-passive by first turning off the airport using the menu bar icon. I know that was the second thing I tried (after trying it *without* turning it off there, and having to reboot my computer to get the airport back online). Unfortunately, for many of us even turning the airport off first is not enough for KisMAC to be successful at passive scanning with Airport Extreme. I think perhaps other system processes are laying claim to the Airport and not relinquish that claim even when the airport is turned off... therefore, when KisMAC tries to load its passive mode driver, it clashes with one of those processes and dies, subsequently rendering the airport inoperative until the next reboot. This is why most people are successful following a safe mode reboot, but not after booting their computers normally even accompanied by switching the airport off prior to firing up KisMAC.

I guess you can count yourself lucky that you're not running anything that causes a conflict!

Cheers,
Robin

I think most people get confused and believe they will be able to surf the internet while they are scanning, and then freak out and say "OMG, kismac has fuxored my airport, what do I do?"

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BROWSE THE INTERNET WHILE SCANNING IN MONITOR MODE WITH A PASSIVE DRIVER, IF YOU WANT TO DO BOTH YOU HAVE TO USE THE ACTIVE DRIVER. (Not yelling in prior statement, just wanted to emphasize that for some :)

--

Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966