[kismac] Re: Okaaaay... passive mode working now

  • From: John Ash <jash@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:10:40 +0000

Yup, same here...even with 10.4.5 (using the Software Update) the only way to get passive extreme mode working is to safe boot...

John Warren wrote:

Upgrading to 10.4.5 did not correct my issues with drivers not loading
for the Airport Extreme.  I did not upgrade using Software Update, I
used the downloadable file from apple.

On 2/16/06, Lee Lindquist <inaudiblenoise@xxxxxxx> wrote:
in their frequency band. There is some overlap and RF bleed between
the bands, so although the Main Channel remains constant, the signal
is still partially picked up on the other channels surrounding it,
because the channels do, in fact, overlap. There are only 3 non-
overlapping channels, 1, 6, and 11.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 7:35 AM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

Well, this is interesting.  It had been a while since I'd tested
KisMAC Airport Extreme passive by manually turning off the Airport
first - and I think that must have been under 10.4.3 - but now,
under 10.4.5, it seems to work like a charm.  Not a safe mode boot
or anything: everything else is still running, I just turned off
the Airport in the menu, opened KisMAC, selected the Airport
Extreme passive driver, and away it goes.  Then quit KisMAC and
turned on the Airport again... no problems.

So, perhaps something between 10.4.3 and 10.4.5 fixed it for me...
but now it looks like I've got the same deal Seth gets: manually
turn off the Airport prior to opening KisMAC, and it works.  I
swear that *didn't* work when I tried it a month or two ago...

... so anyone else who's not tried that technique since updating to
10.4.5, give it a try!

Finally - a query: does anyone know why the channel of each network keeps changing when passive scanning using Airport Extreme? Every cycle through the channels, each network currently being detected appears to change the channel number listed beside it. The "Main Channel" in the network detail screen remains constant, but the "Channel" changes (from 1 through 4 for the downstairs apartment's Airport network [main channel 1], and from 4 or 5 through 11 for my network [main channel 8] and another one somewhere nearby [main channel 11]). Just curious, that's all. --

---
 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421
503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- This email has been verified as Virus free Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net

--

John Ash

Portly Pig Productions Ltd
+44 1243 377171 t
+44 1243 379416 f
+44 7971 406337 m
http://www.portlypig.com

begin:vcard
fn:John Ash
n:Ash;John
org:Portly Pig Productions Ltd
adr:;;47 Stein Road;Emsworth;Hampshire;PO10 8LB;UK
email;internet:john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:+44 1243 377171
tel;fax:+44 1243 379416
tel;cell:+44 7971 406337