[kismac] Okaaaay... passive mode working now

  • From: Robin L Darroch <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:35:08 +0800

Well, this is interesting. It had been a while since I'd tested KisMAC Airport Extreme passive by manually turning off the Airport first - and I think that must have been under 10.4.3 - but now, under 10.4.5, it seems to work like a charm. Not a safe mode boot or anything: everything else is still running, I just turned off the Airport in the menu, opened KisMAC, selected the Airport Extreme passive driver, and away it goes. Then quit KisMAC and turned on the Airport again... no problems.

So, perhaps something between 10.4.3 and 10.4.5 fixed it for me... but now it looks like I've got the same deal Seth gets: manually turn off the Airport prior to opening KisMAC, and it works. I swear that *didn't* work when I tried it a month or two ago...

... so anyone else who's not tried that technique since updating to 10.4.5, give it a try!

Finally - a query: does anyone know why the channel of each network keeps changing when passive scanning using Airport Extreme? Every cycle through the channels, each network currently being detected appears to change the channel number listed beside it. The "Main Channel" in the network detail screen remains constant, but the "Channel" changes (from 1 through 4 for the downstairs apartment's Airport network [main channel 1], and from 4 or 5 through 11 for my network [main channel 8] and another one somewhere nearby [main channel 11]). Just curious, that's all.

 Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966
      robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxx - robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx