[kismac] Re: (No Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:49:42 +1030

  • From: Geoffrey Kruse <gkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:14:22 -0400

I have been writing a 3d mapping application for my senior thesis using OpenGL (think google earth but on a single developer senior thesis level). I was originally inspired by the KisMac mapping function. The application dynamically loads elevation models and textures from any web map server and creates a 3d model on the fly. After I present it to my department next Thursday, I plan to open source the project. It is currently set up in such a way that it would be fairly easy to integrate into KisMac if anyone is interested.

Geoff
On Jan 26, 2006, at 7:47 AM, themacuser wrote:

On 26/01/2006, at 9:59 PM, globo wrote:

1. Turning SSIDs ON or OFF
   Most space on the maps are used by the names.
   Would it be too hard to integrate a button
   to turn those on or off?

Nope, not hard at al. I'll start working on it.

GREAT!

That should be a simple if() statement and a checkbox btw. Not too hard.

2. Custom bullets for APs. The colorcoding of the rounded bubbles is fine. Being totally opaque the overlap also. It would be great to be able to set a custom PNG for each Type. That way one could use transparency

Yep, we can try that. They're inside the application bundle if you want to edit them themselves.

I'll give it a shot.

3. Bulletsize depending on Signal-Strenght I don't know if KISMAC stores the position of the weakest reception. If it does it would be easy to calculate a rough area of
reception
   by just scaling the custom-PNGs to scale.
   If it doesn't store that information
   a simple MIN and MAX value could be given.

There's area mapping for this already.

Area mapping is quite time and resource hungry. Plus the area seems to
get larger and larger the more APs are found even if they are very
close. To be hones I don't quite understand it. Looks cool though,
especially if you run it through photoshop a little. I'll post an
example of a "beefed-up" area-map if you want to.

While I'm at it...
Is a live update for maps in the pipeline? When driving around the
WLANs are detected, however they are not drawn onto the map. That
would
be nice to have.

Strange, that SEEMS to work for me. I'll have a look. I don't have a real GPS (yet, its arriving soon). i just use Set Position and keep rough results, or just don't bother keeping the stumble results.

Defenitly doesn't for me. I have to relod the datafile and map before the new APs are drawn.

I'll have a look when I get my USB GPS.

Also would a 4-Point calibration possible? Pretty much all maps a distorted to compensate earths shape. A 4 point calibration would
make
the KISMAC Layer a lot more reliable on larger scale maps.

Yeah, we could try that one. I am not sure of the mathematics of that. Can someone else work that one out?

As I've said - I wish I could help, but not a chance in that line of work. I'll try to give back in other ways.

globo