[kismac] Re: Netgear WG511T PCMCIA Card

  • From: Beat Zahnd <beat.zahnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:07:56 +0200

Brad Knowles wrote:

If you want 802.11g support and can live with the limitations of active scanning, then Broadcom-based cards are the obvious choice (recognized as Airport Extreme cards).

If you want 802.11g with support for passive scanning, then Atheros-based cards are the only option, and they have the attendant problems that have already been discussed.

OK, I got a clear view of that situation yesterday. What is the state of the passive Atheros code. Why is the source not in the KisMAC CVS.

There are no other 802.11g options that I know of, at least not for MacOS X. It's either Broadcom, or Atheros. That's it.

Then I should ask a colleague in our electronics department to glue together something with a well documented chipset. He has done that already with 802.11b stuff for an embedded device.

Regards, Beat