[kismac] Re: Maps?

  • From: Ben Short <bshort@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 03:22:51 +0000

Quoting Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Howdy,

> How does one both scale and calibrate the current position to be
> accurate?  I guess I've been spoilt by Windows GPS software, that have
> their own maps already calibrated with the correct latitude/longitude.

Yea, thats a hard one ;) I am currently arranging for accurate scale maps for my
locality because the maps I have are not even drawn right, so I end up in the
middle of rivers in some cases.

> Are there any free locations to get such maps?  Is there any decent
> mapping software for the mac, independent of kismac?  A bonus would be
> if it could read from gpsd; I can run multiple software in tandem, this
> way.

If there is, let me know :) there is mapping software out there, but from what I
can see it is just the engine, and not the maps.

> > The GPS will not log any data to the map window unless a map is loaded
> > :)
> Once I picked up two AP's, and set the first waypoint, it actually
> started showing nodes without a map.  Thing is, it only reads from the
> GPS for about 10 minutes before reading from the GPS completely hangs.
> I suspect it may be the GPS, though (it's a USB thing, installed a
> Prolific USB->Serial kext to get it working properly).

yes, this is a bug with 0.8a to do with signed/usigned integers. This has been
fixed in the CVS version - just follow the instructions under the development
link and compile with Xcode.