[kismac] Map calibration question

  • From: Richard Smith <smith@xxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:22:01 -0700

Dear kismac/gps enthusiasts:

I finally have a working GPS on my iBook, and it was quite simple ...
after some false starts*.

Now I would like to install the map. I have a very nice government of
Canada map for my area, at pretty high resolution. I am able to import
it as an image, and save it as a "kismap" but I am not sure how to
calibrate it. How do I tell kismac where the map starts and stops?

* For those interested in the false starts, I first purchased a Delorme
Tripmate, which clearly states that it is not compatible with Mac, but
I thought... that's just to discourage casual users! I bet I can find
the usb to serial drivers for this thing... Not a chance. For whatever
reason, there are no drivers for it.

On the recommendation of several people here, I then chose the Deluo
USB model. It is available online from a variety of vendors, I got mine
from "Computer Geeks", a mail order company with a web site at
http://www.computergeeks.com. It was $89USD.

It comes with OS X drivers on the CD but those didn't work for me. I
was able to download the latest drivers from the web, however, and
those worked well. My USB GPS is "visible" to all Mac GPS software,
including KISMAC, as a serial device.