[kismac] Living on the edge with the new MacBook, cont'd

  • From: "Booty Farm" <bootyfarm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 00:54:23 -0500

Since I seem to be one of the few people here experimenting with
Kismac on an intel MacBook pro and OS X 10.4.5, I thought I would
share my experiences thus far:

-as advertised, the built-in Airport Extreme card works in Active mode
and nothing more, but does active mode quite well

-as advertised, the d-link dwl-122 Prism2 usb card works in active and
passive mode "out of the box"

-the old OS X driver supplied by d-link is useful for nothing more
than castrating Spotlight - don't install it! Use the driver disc as a
coaster whilst watching IV's being collected with Kismac's superior
driver instead.

-unrelated to Kismac, know that there is not a way (yet) to change the
AirPort Extreme's MAC address. ifconfig won't do it, neither will
aspoof or spoofmac. It can be done easily in Linux or Windows and even
through Parallels virtualization, but not directly in OS X.  I'll
report back on this one if I sort it out.

-I still haven't officially cracked any wep keys but I have
successfully captured packets, performed authentication floods and
reinjected packets. So far, so good!

/bf