[kismac] Live tcpdumping 802.11 frames

  • From: Olivier Warin <daffy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 01:42:31 +0200

Hi,
I am using KisMACng R75 for Airport Extreme passive mode support.
I would like to be able to dump raw 802.11 frames when kismac is running (thus using kismac driver) nevertheless when I try to dump from wlt1 I get this error:

daffy@linda:~/src %> sudo tcpdump -i wlt1 -[1:37]-
Password:
tcpdump: WARNING: BIOCPROMISC: Operation not supported on socket
tcpdump: WARNING: wlt1: no IPv4 address assigned
tcpdump: unsupported data link type IEEE802_11_RADIO_AVS

... and nothing ...

I assume that wlt1 is the right device for this purpose, and not en1, since en1 seems to only support EN10MB

daffy@linda:~/src %> sudo tcpdump -L en1 -[1:38]-
Data link types (use option -y to set):
EN10MB (Ethernet)

So:
1) What is IEEE802_11_RADIO_AVS ? I cannot find something really helpfull expect it is imported from wlan-ng.
2) Why does not IEEE802_11 appear in -L ?
3) Is there a way to run something like tcpdump -y IEEE802_11 (or something similar) to see the beacons, authentification process ... on the wlt1 device ?

I have tried with MacOSX tcpdump and with tcpdump-3.9.3 compiled from source.
I would appreciate some advice.
Thx in advance, Sincerely,
/Olivier