[kismac] Re: Kismac captures 1,000,000+ packets, but none are DATA or IVs ?

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:15:35 +0930

I think the MacBook wifi driver isn't quite working at the moment.
On 12/08/2006, at 4:37 PM, Bug Dave wrote:

what makes you so sure there is no data? Are you sure you are dumping it? (in prefs you have the option to dump data

On Aug 12, 2006, at 2:18 AM, Rohan Hill wrote:

I’m running the latest (158 I believe?) build of Kismac, with a Macbook. I’m using the Airport Extreme driver in passive mode to capture packets. Here’s the puzzling part – Kismac captures tons of packets, but when I look at the details, NONE of these packets (I’ve let it run up over 1 million packets in one case) are ever IVs or DATA. I can understand not coming up with any IVs, but I don’t see why I would never ever capture any data. At first I thought this was just a fluke of my area, but I tried it today in the downtown of a large city with 20+ access points in range, and still no Data or IVs.

If I’m capturing from access points that are BEING USED at that moment, how can there be no data?

What’s going on here – is this normal?