[kismac] Kismac captures 1,000,000+ packets, but none are DATA or IVs ?

  • From: "Rohan Hill" <rohan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 02:18:31 -0400

I'm running the latest (158 I believe?) build of Kismac, with a Macbook. I'm
using the Airport Extreme driver in passive mode to capture packets. Here's
the puzzling part - Kismac captures tons of packets, but when I look at the
details, NONE of these packets (I've let it run up over 1 million packets in
one case) are ever IVs or DATA. I can understand not coming up with any IVs,
but I don't see why I would never ever capture any data. At first I thought
this was just a fluke of my area, but I tried it today in the downtown of a
large city with 20+ access points in range, and still no Data or IVs.

If I'm capturing from access points that are BEING USED at that moment, how
can there be no data?

What's going on here - is this normal?