[kismac] Re: KisMAC Maintenance (Airport Extreme)

  • From: themacuser <themacuser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:51:13 +1030

Yeah, I find it's OK running from cached data, but it could be a bit annoying at times. And KisMAC's mapping engine is fine.

As for sending updated NIBs and diff output, that should be fine.

I'd love to see this thrown into another release - I want to play with the google earth exporter already.

On 05/02/2006, at 1:36 PM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

OK - first version of KML export is finished (network locations only, no trace). Should be pretty obvious how it works (green for open managed nets, red for encrypted nets, other icons for tunnel/ adhoc/probe/etc). I've sent diff output and updated NIBs to Geoff. Not sure if that's the best way to do it, but I'm sure he'll set me straight if not. :)

I've actually found Google Earth to be OK running from cached data (I use my GPS-to-GE program when driving or flying around the place with no internet access), but KisMAC already has good mapping for the purpose, so really it's just a tool for reviewing results later against different imagery.

Yeah, realtime isnt very useful IMO as well. Because when you're wardriving, you don't exactly have internet access (at least most of us don't, but not with the bandwidth to use google earth anyway if you DO have some kind of cellular broadband).

I'll have a look at how the trace works.

On 05/02/2006, at 11:40 AM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

Actually, I've got it about 2/3 done already (for "export" functionality - no real-time tracing yet). It looks like it should be pretty straightforward to export all the network positions to KML, however I'm a bit stumped on how to export the trace (just because I'm having difficulty decoding how the trace is stored). If someone can come up with a bit of code that will translate a trace to a sequence of lat-long pairs, I can certainly do the rest.

Real-time probably isn't as useful as export anyway.

I was thinking of doing exactly that. I can write the GUI code if you wish, and add the function handlers. I'd be fine with writing the underlying code myself, but if you want to do it you can.
On 05/02/2006, at 12:50 AM, Robin L Darroch wrote:

... and I was just thinking yesterday about using KisMAC to generate real-time KML output for a network link into Google Earth. Would only be a small step from my existing GPS-to- Google Earth program. Anyone else interested in either real- time or "export" functionality to send data to Google Earth? I can write the code to produce the output, but would need someone else to do the menu/GUI work (although I might see if I can figure out the Export thing myself).

At 8:13 -0800 3/2/06, Geoffrey Kruse wrote:
On Feb 3, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Francis Gulotta wrote:

Ohh I almost forgot! I've been asked to start learning everything I can about GIS (global information systems). Mostly about mapping database data onto arial imagery. Just thought I'd add that. =)

I just presented my senior thesis on a similar topic yesterday! I will be releasing the app as open source later today and I will post the link here.

Geoff

Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:smime 9.p7s ( / ) (00DEE10D)

--

Robin L. Darroch - PO Box 2715, South Hedland WA 6722 - +61 421 503 966

--