[kismac] Re: KisMAC 0.12a preview

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 11:12:53 -0700

On May 5, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Michael Rossberg wrote:

i need feedback for the install engine and for the attacks. in particular, whether there are a lot of access points, which generate now weak keys, and did not before. these new weak keys will not revel the first bytes of the key but these could easily be bruteforced by a hybrid weak key/bruteforce attack, which i would write if it is found useful.

Hi Mick,

I've been testing 0.12a and it works pretty well overall, though it seems to inherit a few older problems. I especially like the dramatic increase in Weak IVs! On my access point, I'm getting over 10% Weak IVs and see similar results with other access points. Now, the question is, when is this "hybrid weak key/bruteforce attack" going to be ready? How efficient and effective will it be? I think you may be on to something with it...

Regarding other portions of the program, I've always liked your installer, it's much more streamlined than the Apple one. The new installer worked perfectly for me, I have no complaints in function. I would suggest (IMHO) you move away from the media-controller like next/back/quit buttons - it looks like QuickTime Player or iTunes or something a little much for my tastes.

Aside from that, I did spot a few GUI bugs. The first relates to the graph. It does weird, weird things sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it, but it will stop, do weird shapes, hide access points when they disappear (even momentarily), etc. Odd behavior overall. Also a small issue with switching among the various tabs on the right side - sometimes it will not be properly responsive when you click (nothing happens) unless you resize the window. Occasionally, it won't refresh any of the tabs, after you resize it, so the program is useless until you restart it.

Hope this feedback helps!

-Galen