[kismac] Re: KisMAC 0.05e

  • From: ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:58:44 +0200

At 2:24 +0200 03/09/16, Brad Knowles wrote:
>       Median is easier than mean (average) and standard deviation.  For
>median, you just keep a sorted list of the measured values, and you
>take the middle number (for odd numbers of samples).  So, if you had
>99 measurements, the median would be the value stored at element #50,
>because 99+1/2=50.0.  For even numbers of samples, you average the
>two middle samples (100+1/2=50.5, so average the values at #50 and
>#51).

Brad, does that mean that you have a variable number of elements in
your list? In that case, maybe the modal number would be more handy.
You keep a static array in which you tally the signal strength (that
is, if you measure a signal strength of n, you increase element n by
1).

Taken the signal strength can vary between 0 and 100% (for any given
constellation on your computer), you take an array of 100 buckets.
The number of the bucket with the highest content is taken as the
modal value. I guess you could call this 'histogram maximum' too. No
statistics and no dynamic memory allocation involved ;-)

ard