[kismac] Re: KisMAC 0.05d

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:21:53 +0200

At 7:52 AM -1000 2003/07/23, Bob Cunningham wrote:

>  I do like the way it starts up faster without asking for an
>  administrative password.  (It only asks for that when being
>  installed; which seems just right.)

        If this process were done by a binary program which was written
in a sufficiently paranoid manner, I would not mind it being
installed setuid.

        However, if this is being done via a script, I most *vehemently*
object to it being installed setuid!  I don't think there is a setuid
script alive that couldn't be subverted by someone sufficiently
motivated.

        Myself, I could not get KisMac 0.05d to load the Viha driver
(MacOS X 10.2.6, PowerBook G4/800/DVI/1GB RAM, Apple Airport internal
card).  I have yet to try it with the various other 802.11b cards
that I have (Lucent, Prism, cisco, etc...).

        The shutdown process was not clean, either.  It did reload the
Apple Airport driver, but the WEP password had been lost.  I had to
switch to a different "Location" that disabled the Airport card, then
switch back to my existing wireless network location, in order for
the password to be re-loaded and get logged back on.

        Not pretty.  Version 0.05d is definitely not something I will be
using.  I'll test it out with the other drivers and the other cards,
but that's it.

        I have also recently obtained a Linksys WPC54G 802.11b/g card --
are there any plans to support these any time soon?  Apple does
recognize this as an "Apple Airport Extreme" card and tried to
provide a driver for it, but I made the mistake of not disabling my
existing Airport card before installing it.

        Suffice it to say that this is a mistake you do *NOT* want to
repeat -- I ended up having to go downstairs, connect to my Apple
"Snow" Airport base station via Ethernet, fire up the Airport
Administrator tool, grab the "Hex Equivalent WEP Password" and then
re-enter that into my Apple Airport driver so that I could use my
wireless network again.  Blech.

        If necessary, I'd be willing to buy a Linksys WPC54G card (only
about 100 Euro) and ship it to Mick, if that would help get driver
support added sooner rather than later.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>