[kismac] Re: How do you get this %%$$ing program towork!!!????

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:49:35 +0200

At 10:46 PM -0400 2004/04/29, GDevice@xxxxxxx wrote:

 I know that my Extreme Card won't work in Passive mode. So I go and get
 a Belkin F5D6020. No matter what settings/driver I choose KisMac will
 not activate the card.  Can't get it to work to save my life.

See <http://www.houseofcraig.net/belkin_howto.php>. This is an Atmel chipset, which is not supported.

 I finally give up and go out and get a DLink DWL-650. THAT IS LISTED
 AS CONFIRMED AT THE KISMAC SITE! Now I can't get this one to work
 either!!!!

See <http://www.houseofcraig.net/belkin_howto.php#dlink>. This is probably the DWL-650v2, which uses an ADMtek chipset.

What the heck am I doing wrong???

You're using the wrong cards from the wrong manufacturers. Both Belkin and D-Link tend to change chipsets on their cards without changing model numbers or telling anyone. You simply discover that this card you're told should work doesn't, and you can't (easily) figure out why.

 Please help... I really don't want to buy 28 different cards just trying
 to get this thing to work.

Myself, I am very fond of the Senao cards, as well as the Senao OEM cards sold by other manufacturers, such as Engenius, HauteSpot Networks, etc....

These cards have the highest power that is available (up to 200mW, see <http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/Client_5fAdapters_5f802_5f11b>), nearly the highest sensitivity in any known 802.11b device (-95dBM at 1Mbps, -89dBM at 11Mbps, see <http://freenetworks.org/moin/index.cgi/ReceiveSensitivity>), and they have some of the best prices on the market (if you shop around). This makes them the best price/performance card you can buy. Note that they sell versions with internal antennas as well as those with standard jacks for external antennas.

In particular, I like the SL-2511CD PLUS. See also the Senao page at <http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/Product_wireless01_all.asp>.

That said, the Lucent/Orinoco cards are also very well-supported, and the cisco Aironet 350 cards are probably the outright best cards you can buy -- power and sensitivity is not as high as the Senao, but they do a lot more in hardware, they have really worked to get all the bugs out, and they are absolutely rock-solid production-grade cards, and you pay through the nose to buy them. Most any Prism2-based card should also work. But make sure to check the SeattleWireless Client Adapter page shown above.

If you're looking for multi-mode 802.11a/b/g cards, see <http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareComparison#head-d3147e0e9d8271c470ba318c9ddb27b75ead27c5>, although the Apple drivers are Broadcom-based (which would mean you couldn't do passive scanning), and all of these cards seem to be using the Atheros chipset.

My understanding is that Mick ported, or is working on porting, support for Atheros over to KisMac based on drivers from Linux or other open source/freely available OSes, so most of these cards should either work for you today, or they should hopefully work for you in the near future.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>