[kismac] Hawking HWUG1 compatibility

  • From: Grant <gbander@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 03:30:26 -0400

I have been looking for a Ralink-based USB 802.11b/g adapter that will work well with KisMAC.

Hawking's HWUG1 adapter has caught my attention as it has an external antenna (no soldering needed to get a decent antenna, this is its major selling point for me.) I've not had much luck discovering what chipset is in this thing. All I could find were two reviewers on Amazon who said they got theirs working with their Macs by using Ralink's RT2571 driver. Does anybody know for sure what chipset is in this thing? Does anybody have any experience or thoughts on the device? And most importantly, might this work with KisMAC?

Hawking also makes the HWUG1A, which is their "for Mac Users" version of the HWUG1. I'm not sure what the difference actually is.

Any information or insight will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Grant