[kismac] Re: Getting hidden SSID's

  • From: Ray Haque <ray@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 20:34:11 -0400

If you want to accelerate the process, switch to the channel that the ap is on. Now, as long as you have decent signal strength, you just have to wait for a client to send it. Pretty much the only reason I can figure for the client to send it would be when the client is logging on, so in some situations, it may be minutes, hours, or even days/weeks/months (yes, I'm stretching it a little bit) before the SSID shows up.

My question to Mich was "can this be sped up by kicking the client off of their Access Point, forcing them to reconnect". He responded with, "all of this is correct and implemented for a year or so. but you cannot send a disassociate but a deauthenticate.". So basically, if you de-authenticate someone, you will get their SSID in just a moment. Theoretically.

I haven't tried it out yet. I am anticipating a wardrive. And now, this conversation has come full circle. ;-)

-Ray