[kismac] Re: Getting hidden SSID's

  • From: Galen <gzink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:12:05 -0700

Just leave it open and it'll show up after a while (well, as soon as a client transmits the SSID). If you want to accelerate the process, switch to the channel that the ap is on. Now, as long as you have decent signal strength, you just have to wait for a client to send it. Pretty much the only reason I can figure for the client to send it would be when the client is logging on, so in some situations, it may be minutes, hours, or even days/weeks/months (yes, I'm stretching it a little bit) before the SSID shows up.

When the SSID is detected, KisMAC automatically changes <no ssid> to the SSID. Zero user interaction required.

On May 11, 2004, at 4:44 PM, F0T0™ wrote:

Ah ok. I thought there might be some cool util to decrypt it.
So do I just have to sit on the hidden ssid in kismac, or can I continue normal scanning?
Sorry if this sounds ignorant.

On Tuesday, May 11, 2004, at 04:37 PM, Galen wrote:

No. If there was, it wouldn't be hidden, would it? :)

Realistically, KisMAC already looks for them. Just wait. A client will try to join the network and you'll pick up the SSID and KisMAC will display it. Beyond that, there's no way that I know of to get the SSID other than waiting for a client to send it.

On May 11, 2004, at 2:29 PM, F0T0™ wrote:

Is there an easy way to detect what a hidden ssid is.....ie hidden ssid= machouse...etc?