[kismac] Re: Getting hidden SSID's

  • From: "Brian" <whj6z7602@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:38:49 -0400

On May 12, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Chris Osborn fozztexx-at-fozztexx.com |KisMAC list| wrote:

On May 12, 2004, at 9:46 AM, Andrew Koch wrote:

I've tried that a couple times, and I still haven't gotten anything. But then again, most of the networks I've found that have a hidden ssid don't have any clients connected to them.

My own home network has always come up as "Hidden ssid" when I've scanned with a USB adapter, and I have a couple of computers connected to it all the time. Doesn't matter how long I leave it scanning.

Are those couple of computers likely within range of your scanning adapter (think "hidden node phenomenon"), or is the AP the only thing you're picking up? I think it's the management packets (probe, associate?) from the station to the AP that contain the ESSID, which is where you'd need to see them when they're disabled in the AP's beacon.

- Brian