[kismac] Get the Atheros HAL ported to Mac OSX!

  • From: "Michael Miller" <1337mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:47:52 -0400

To all:

Sam Leffler maintains a closed-source HAL(hardware abstraction layer) for
Atheros(he has access to private specifications under an NDA) which supports
almost every single Atheros wireless product made. The HAL is in use on
Linux by means of the madwifi project. Basically, the HAL allows a driver to
easily interface with the hardware(it takes care of the specifics). Long
story short, if the HAL were availible for OSX it would be extremely
feasable and easy to build in support for _every_ single Atheros card made
providing full sniffing/scanning/packet injection support. This includes the
AR5008 found in the core 2 duo notebooks apple makes!

So what can you do to help? Email Sam Leffler(sam@xxxxxxxxx) and tell him
that YOU want the HAL to be ported to Mac OSX. He has told me that it is at
a low priority now because he has not seen demand for an OSX version of the
HAL. Send him an email and let him know that you would like him to port the
HAL to OSX. Doing so would not take a long time(relatively speaking), and
would solve the "Where can I buy a compatible card?" question.

Michael Miller