[kismac] Re: GPSD Support for KisMAC?

  • From: "William H. Leininger" <whlm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 12:40:38 -0500

>Hey everyone,
>Long time user, first time poster!
>I'm a big fan of GPSDrive (gpsdrive.de), which I usually use for
>navigational purposes when (war)driving. While I love Kismac, the
>calibrating of maps and what not is still too cumbersome for me, and being
>a macosx user, I can't take advantage of GPSDrive's Kismet support.
>GPSDrive includes a GPSd daemon that other programs like gpsmap (on
>sourceforge) can connect to. Have you thought about adding support to
>kismac for this? I havn't looked into it, but I think it just opens the
>gps (serial) port, and then binds to a tcp port and dumps NMEA

GPSd has several types of data you can request; one is the raw NMEA stream.

It has always struck me that GPS data on a laptop should be a
Multiple-use feature, like the real time clock. Just because the
clock is displayed in the menubar doesn't mean that no other
application can get the current time.  But if one app has the serial
port open, no one else can use it.

Now, while I've written code doing TCP/IP and have compiled gpsd for
MacOS X, I'm not sure more than one app could access its NMEA stream
at a time.  But certainly, you could bind the port, issue the command
that gets you one Lat/Long tuple, and then unbind the port, and do
that every 0.25 seconds for route information, and as needed to
register access points.

Currently, I'm the guy that can't get the latest MacJack to run
without locking up my machine, so for the moment, I'm not going to be
able to fiddle with this.  Today's experiment: try different Orinoco
Firmware versions on my card to see if they make any difference.

Out of curiosity, is anyone using a NetGear MA401 or MA401RA card
with the MacJack driver, on a black Powerbook (Lombard/101,
WallStreet, etc.)?  It would mean I couldn't use my external antenna
without some surface mount soldering (which I hate to contemplate),
but if that works, I may try it.