[kismac] Re: GPS success story

  • From: Richard Smith <smith@xxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:11:00 -0700

Calibration of the 1:50000 maps from the government of canada is
straightforward, once you figure out the pattern. The maps don't come
with any lat/long markings, but they are numbered according to the
official mapping scheme for the country, and they are in standard sizes
(.25 degrees of latitude and .5 degrees of longitude).

Most of the Canadian population is within a few degrees of latitude
(near the 49th parallel, our border with the US), so these rectangles
are reasonable facsimiles of reality for mapping purposes.

I use a server called "toporama" and you can find it here:

You can browse around there and see how many maps (ranging from
1:1000000 to 1:50000 resolution) are available. Really remarkable.