[kismac] Re: GPS success story

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:32:12 +0200

> Thanks to everyone who helped with their experiences and solutions to
> my problems along the way -- Kismac is now doing great war driving in
> the Vancouver area and is proving to be exceptionally reliable and
> accurate.

=)

> I have, in fact, found it to be exceptionally useful, and in many ways
> easier to use and less problematic than dedicated GPS software!
>
> Suggestions:
>
>       [optionally] display other information (altitude, velocity) in the
> bottom bar, along with latitude and longitude

mhhh. may be. i put it in my quick hacks to fo list

>       allow us to create a list [table) of maps so that we can jump from one
> map to another fairly easily. This might be implemented as a
> "checkerboard" type of interface in which you click on a square,
> associate a map name with that square, and then you could easily jump
> from one map to another using a palette. Perhaps even automate it, when
> you move from one corner of one map to another... or even load the map
> automatically depending on the lat/long!

i planned on doing something like this. however this is not too useful,
unless i finally find the time todo an automatic download from some map
server, which is actually pretty hard for me to implement (with a
dial-up connection, which means in germany that you have to pay for
every minute). however i ll be moving to a dsl area in september...

>       [optionally] centre the blinking blue dot on the screen

one more point in my list.

>       create a tutorial or help page to help people calibrate a map -- I
> volunteer to do this, if you like

would be fine if you would do it... i am exceptionally bad at such
documentations....

just for the protocol: the cvs server died of a hardware error do not
expect it to be back soon.

mick