[kismac] Re: GPS subsystem stops working

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:24:14 +0200

>> : I have a TN-200 too, and have problems here too. When loading a map
>> : while GPS is on, the proper map is loaded. IMHO, Kismac then should
>> : know the scale, right?
>> : The current location however, is not shown. I can activate it, but
>> : the marker does not appear. I am I wrong in assuming that it should
>> : be visible without entering the second marker?
>> You need to set the second waypoint manually.  The first is set by the
>> program.  Unless both are set, Kismac will not know where you are.
> When downloading, I tell Kismac what scale to use (both in pixels and
> in zooming), so Kismac has all the ingredients there to know exactly
> where I am and where I go and the map size for calibration. No second
> waypoint is needed. I am strengthened in this opinion by a recent
> message of Mick telling that, when you don't use a GPS device, you
> only enter one waypoint in server maps.
> The second waypoint in scanned maps is only to determine the scale of
> the map. That is (or could have been) done automatically from the
> scale you enter in preferred download size at the mapserver download.
> Where am I missing something?

the problem is that kismac, does know about the relative scale. not the
actual. there are a couple of problems i ran into when trying to
implement a system, which will setup the second waypoint automatically.
the problem is so big that i will have to rebuild the whole mapping
system in order to add support for different map projections for an
example. this is planned for the future, but right now he is right.
sorry for any inconvenience