[kismac] Re: GPS software

  • From: Patrick Munson <pmunce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:32:52 -0800

External antennae on most of the Compact Flash GPS systems I have seen are optional.

I am sure Apple could devise a clever way such that a CF/PCMCIA GPS system would share the internal antenna used by the AirPort card, thus eliminating the extrusion found on all such cards but have provisions for an external antenna as well.

Talk about elegant, that would be elegant.

The fact that Apple does not do this tells me that even they think their own market is to small to bother.

Getting back to my original question, however...

Does anyone know of a CF/PCMCIA GPS system that does work on the Macintosh?

Thanks.

On Feb 6, 2004, at 8:13 AM, Jatin Pandya wrote:

Holding my iBook in one had and antennae mast in
another while walking down to street for war-walking
is also not an elegant solution either ;) I think if
you are just talikng about GPS interface alone in
general, I understand your comment. But if it is in
connection with packet capturing, well, anything that
works should make you happy :)

Kaarigar
=====================
--- Patrick Munson <pmunce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A serial or USB solution to using a GPS system on a
laptop computer is
not very elegant when opposed to a Compact Flash or
PCMCIA solution.

What do others use their PCMCIA slot for anyway?
Mine is unused except
for the occasional access to images from a digital
camera.

On Feb 5, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Kyle Christensen wrote:

Mainly because there's a ton of serial or USB gps
out there you can
pickup for relatively cheap
that won't monopolize precious PCMCIA/MiniPCI
slots :)

<quote who="Patrick Munson">
Apple should have a pretty good idea of the size
of their user base.

Why don't they make a Compact Flash or PCMCIA GPS
system and/or
interface software.

They did it with AirPort, why not GPS?

On Feb 5, 2004, at 11:07 AM, Pat Heidingsfelder
wrote:

I have been looking into GPS software for OS X
I believe I have
found
most everything out there.  There are a few
people over at
geocaching.com that are developing software, but
it would be great to
have Garmin's apps work natively in OS X. I
found this while
searching

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/3215.1.12398727029410847560/
macsignup.html

If you would, check it out and if you feel the
need, sign it. It is
definitely a worthy cause.

Thanks for the help!!!

=====