[kismac] Re: GPS question

  • From: "William H. Leininger" <whlm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:09:41 -0500

>what sort of GPS do you folks use? how well do they work, where did you
>get them and how much? i am looking into getting one for an upcoming
>cross USA trip....

I haven't spoken up, primarily as the GPS I use (Garmin GPS-40) is no
longer made.

But it works fine; if you find one really cheap on eBay or something,
you might want to consider it.  It's an older design, and will take
longer to synch up to the satellites that units starting with the
GPS-12, as it only does one channel at a time, instead of 12.

I use the Keyspan TwinSerial with it, and a cable I made from a
Garmin cable half purchased from the guy that wrote MacGPS Pro.  You
can get a car power adapter, but I run it on 4 AA batteries most
trips, and it gets something like 20 hours of operation in power
saver mode.