[kismac] Re: GPS question

  • From: Cliff Albert <cliff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:04:04 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:51:20AM -0400, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> >what sort of GPS do you folks use? how well do they work, where did you
> >get them and how much? i am looking into getting one for an upcoming
> >cross USA trip....
>
> I'm interested in the same commentary. FWIW, one of the
> "competitors," MacStumbler, suggests a particular receiver, but it's
> a low end model.
>
> http://www.macstumbler.com/#wardriving

I'm using a cheap no-brand GPS. It has a typenr BU-303 and works just
fine with KisMAC. Have also tried to use it on my Linux machine, but the
USB driver for the PL2303 chipset (which does the usb-serial bridging)
oopses over there. But works fine on the Mac after installing the
correct Prolific PL2303 driver.

Nice and small GPS it is. Powerconsumption is just ok. I can wardrive
for 2 hours and 10 minutes with the GPS and the AirPort card running all
the time. The screen is also turned on constantly with Map display.

--
Cliff Albert            | RIPE:      CA3348-RIPE | https://oisec.net/
cliff@xxxxxxxxx         | 6BONE:     CA2-6BONE   |