[kismac] Re: GPS device & 0.2

  • From: ard jonker <ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:01:27 +0100

As of some recent version, Kismac now displays the traces where I have had a fix, and no trace when the fix was not available. I can live with that, actually, I'm very happy with that. In fact, I'm so happy with it that I would like to be able to save the trace from Kismac.

Hahahahah... that's the best way to make a feature request I think I've ever heard. I haven't played with saving traces... perhaps I should... or perhaps Mick should. I won't have time soon, and probably neither will Mick,

As you are the 'gps guy' for me, I'd thought I threw it at the list and see who takes the bait ;-) Mick has virtues more in the general direction of wireless, I guess?

but it's a good idea. I'd like the trace saved in a format that's compatible with *something* else... perhaps MacGPS Pro?

Or a format that gpsd can read; gpsd is said to be able to re-read files for debug purposes. As you have the GPS sentence parser anyway, you might as well write GPS sentence files.

There is one odd thing; when the GPS device is closed, and reset (assumed the only way to get it going again), I get a strange spike in my trace, possibly to the middle of nowhere (you long time mac users of the Map control panel know where you are) rather than a gap in the trace.

Yep - that would be a ghost fix at 0,0 (i.e. the equator due south of Greenwich). Not sure what can be done about that. Probably something, but I think it's for further down the track.

From my turtle graphics time I'd say: the first command after a null fix is a 'move to' rather than a 'draw to'. But then, that's turtle graphics.

ehmmmm kismacng should

'eventually' is omitted, I suppose? I didn't have the nerve to try up until now, but there is no trace shown when a kismac file is loaded. Boy, it DOES. In 'open' mode, that is. As I'm stubbornly try to map the whole city by importing all my war drives, Kismac imports all the AP's, but it only takes the latest trace. Minor problem. Traces help you to see where you have been and did not find any AP. Hency my continuing request for traces in kismac files.

include traces in kismac files.... actually ard's request (which has been around since version .08a i think) is the reason that kismacng savefiles are not fully backward compatible...

Things have to get worse before they get better. I'm happy to see what 'worse' means, and makes me craving for 'better'... Thanks to all you programming buffs.

ard