[kismac] Re: GPS Units

  • From: ard jonker <ard.jonker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 16:17:28 +0200

At 18:40 -0800 8/3/07, John Warren wrote:
Hello all,
  This is related to the GPS subsystem of kismac.  I have received
two GPS units from a friend.  One is a BU-303 and one is a DeLorme
Earthmate Model 9538 v1.0.  Does anybody know how to get either of
these working with kismac.  Both units work on a windows based

Macbook Pro 2.16 Intel Core Duo
OSX 10.4.8
Kismac R228 (compiling my own)
by the way, good work on the DWL-G122 on PPC.  I tried it today and it
was grabbing packets.

also have gpsd as created by gpsdXConfig.  Subsystem works with a
Garmin GPS serial device using a Prolific USB->Serial converter.  I've
played around with the settings in gpsdXConfig a bunch but haven't
gotten anything out of it.

Supposedly the BU-303 uses the same Prolific chipset (or at least a
prolific chipset), but I'm not too sure.  This device only shows up as
"USB Device" in System Profiler.

According to <http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/usglobalsat/bu303.htm> the bu303 has a PL2303 (which unit hasn't, these days) and the driver support is confusing, but you can get working drivers. I had hangups (up until the grey screen with the chinese characters) earlier, but since using more recent drivers from <www.prolific.com.tw (Chris Kuethe has a usable driver mirrored at <http://pyxis.cns.ualberta.ca/~ckuethe/md_pl2303H_HX_X_dmg_v1.2.1r2.zip> in combination with GPSdX and gps2geX, plus using Kismac's gpsd support, I have had no hangups (n=1) while other days, I'd at least have one hangup a day (n=4).
I must confess this is on a Powerbook G4, not a macbook.