[kismac] Re: GPS USB to Serial Compatibility

  • From: Andrew Koch <puppy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:10:06 -0400

>  >What are the "right" drivers? The adapter came with nothing but Palm
>  >Desktop software.

You may run into a problem here...  IIRC, the Palm USB cable is just
that, a cable.  The Pal Pilot itself does all of the protocol
translation, similar to my Kodak Digital Camera which had a DIN-8
plug on the camera itself, and the a choice of a USB cable or a 9-pin
Serial cable to transfer images to your computer.  The Camera
actually has both interfaces built into it, and merely senses which
type of cable is attached to it.

Also, IIRC, your standard Serial and USB do not use the same types of
data transmission (I.e. Tx, Rx, RTS, DTR pins going high/low to
represent data...) Which is why devices like the Keyspan USB-Serial
adaptor are still rather bulky.

(And while I'm posting, how soon till you'll be able to
reverse-engineer the Airport Extreme card ;)  Anything I could do to
help out with that...)

--
Andrew Koch
Website: http://www.lildobe.net