[kismac] Re: G an B

  • From: devnullian@xxxxxxx
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:31:59 -0600

whoa, that's a cool card. I have two atheros-brand a/b/g cards, but I've only used them with Back|Trac on a (ugh!) dell because my 12" powerbook has no pcmcia. By the way, I think these cards actually have two radios because it is difficult to make one radio with that can handle both frequency ranges. Since your card has no internal antenna, you should keep in mind that you need an antenna designed for the frequency range of 802.11a to get any decent range when using 802.11a, if you haven't taken care of this already.

Anyhow, my point was that the new MacBooks have the cardbus slot instead of pcmcia, and the cardbus is not backwards compatible with pcmcia (as far as I know), so there's no way to get two 802.11a radios on one Mac laptop that I can think of--the original poster mentioned that 802.11a is supported by some (or all?) of the new intel macs.

I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong on this one, 802.11a capability comes in handy sometimes, though it's up to someone with skills coding OS X drivers--that doesn't include me--to write the 802.11a support for KisMAC if people want it.

/dev/null/ian

On Sep 13, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Erik Winkler wrote:

devenullian,

I recently used this ubiquiti a/b/g pcmcia card (http:// www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php? cPath=2&products_id=150) in my powerbook G4 and it scanned the "a" channels in Kismac. I did not detect any "a" access points, so I don't know if it actually works. Something built into the Atheros drivers that gives it access to the "a" frequencies. This is an Atheros based card.

Erik

On Sep 12, 2006, at 4:29 PM, devnullian@xxxxxxx wrote:

I don't think any 802.11a support is planned--it's not very popular compared to b/g. Plus, you need at least two radios to do anything interesting, which would mean adding an atheros a/b/g card--to my knowledge, the only card with 802.11a support and cracking-capable drivers. Unfortunately, those are all pcmcia, which, as far as I know, means you can't use it with the new macbooks. If you have any need to play around with 802.11a (I did once), you might want to look into a non-mac (preferably with two pcmcia slots) and the back|trac live cd.

devnullian

On Sep 12, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Piotr Malecki wrote:

Hi,

What about 802.11a (considering that then new Intel Macs support it)?

Piotr

On 11-Sep-06, at 2:55 AM, devnullian@xxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, using ralink based usb devices. BTW injection is used to accelerate wep cracking since one only needs a certain amount of traffic to crack the key. WPA cracking is a whole different animal, and reinjection doesn't really apply. That said, the ralink devices should make deauthorization attacks against g- only networks more successful, which is needed to run a dictionary attack against the key.
dev/null/ian
On Sep 11, 2006, at 12:36 AM, Justin Morris wrote:

I sent this a while ago but no one responded to it:

So pack reinjection into both G and B networks will be available soon?

Justin

On 9/6/06, Bug Dave <bugdave@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
neither of those ralink devices offer packet injection as of yet. However, it should be working in kismac within the month. As of right now the ralink devices can only offer passive sniffing.

On Sep 6, 2006, at 9:25 PM, Jorge Laranjo wrote:

So, a D-Link DWL-G122 vB1 or a Linksys WUSB54G v4 will work with Kismac for packet Injecting (wep) ? And how about the packet injecting WPA? Not so soon...?

Thanks.